Defenders by Will McIntosh
Genre: Science Fiction
Series: Stand Alone
Publisher: Orbit (May 13, 2014)
Author Information: Website | Twitter
Mogsy's Rating: 4 of 5 stars
Last year, I read an incredibly moving book called Love Minus Eighty. As I closed the cover on the last page and settled back with a roiling mind and warmed heart, I knew right there and then that any future novels written by Will McIntosh will be going straight onto my to-read list. Someone who can write such a magnificent story (not to mention give me all these feels) certainly belongs on my list of favorite authors. And so that is how I came to review Defenders, and I don't have to tell you how excited I was.
Genre: Science Fiction
Series: Stand Alone
Publisher: Orbit (May 13, 2014)
Author Information: Website | Twitter
Mogsy's Rating: 4 of 5 stars
Last year, I read an incredibly moving book called Love Minus Eighty. As I closed the cover on the last page and settled back with a roiling mind and warmed heart, I knew right there and then that any future novels written by Will McIntosh will be going straight onto my to-read list. Someone who can write such a magnificent story (not to mention give me all these feels) certainly belongs on my list of favorite authors. And so that is how I came to review Defenders, and I don't have to tell you how excited I was.
On the surface, the two books I've read by Will McIntosh could not be any more
different. Love Minus Eighty explores love in a future caught up in a tangled
web of digital information and social media. Defenders,
on the other hand, is about war and an alien invasion. Taking place over a
period of twenty years, the book is divided into three parts. First, it details
humanity’s losing battle against the Luyten, a race of giant, starfish-like
aliens whose greatest advantage over us is their species’ telepathic
ability. How do you fight an enemy who can read your every thought and
know your actions even before you do?
Enter the defenders, humanity’s answer to that question.
Tactically-minded and highly intelligent, they are a new race of warriors genetically
engineered to be immune to Luyten mind-reading. Needless to say, they summarily
wiped the floor with the dastardly starfish. But what happens after the war
is won? What on earth do you do with millions of seventeen-foot tall,
three-legged extraordinary warriors now that there are no more aliens to fight?
They were our saviors, our own beloved creations, and yet they might as well be
as foreign to us as the Luyten. The rest of the book covers the tumultuous two
decades that follow, exploring the idea of sharing the world with the
defenders.
Like I said, superficially there appears to be very little
in common between Love Minus Eighty and Defenders. But dig a little deeper, and
a couple similarities come to light.
For one thing, thematically different as they are, both
novels pack a powerful punch. Will McIntosh has a remarkable ability to write
stories that reach deep into your mind and heart, raising questions about
ourselves both individually and as a society. I enjoy his tightly woven plots
and multiple narratives, but it’s the messages in them that transcend the
content and that's what ultimately makes reading his work so rewarding.
When you read Defenders, look for the forest, not the trees.
Just as you weren’t supposed to pick apart the minutiae of cryogenics in Love
Minus Eighty, I realized very early on that I shouldn’t get too hung up on the
logistics of an alien invasion or the ins-and-outs of bio-engineering a whole
new warrior race. This science fiction novel isn’t so much about the “science”
than it is a thought-provoking social fiction piece exploring how humanity
might approach an “us vs. them” situation. Needless to say, if you enjoy “what
if” stories, this would be the ideal book for you. But even in the face of
implausible circumstances, Defenders was an enthralling and sometimes
terrifying read, given how the speculation always remained grounded in
human nature. Humanity has essentially created an army of living, breathing killing machines with only
a swift and decisive victory against the Luyten in mind, and now they must live
with the consequences of their actions.
What makes someone a friend or foe? Who can put a price on the cost of freedom? As ever, the scenarios in McIntosh’s stories are enhanced by his characters; they are the ones who help expand our understanding of the dire things happening in the world, very important in books such as these. And in Defenders, that’s no exception. Through the narratives of only a handful of characters – Oliver, Kai, Lila and Dominque – we are able to get a well-rounded sense of the culture and climate of the situation. It’s interesting to watch their relationships evolve over the years, and to see how the events of the war has influenced their individual beliefs and perspectives.
What makes someone a friend or foe? Who can put a price on the cost of freedom? As ever, the scenarios in McIntosh’s stories are enhanced by his characters; they are the ones who help expand our understanding of the dire things happening in the world, very important in books such as these. And in Defenders, that’s no exception. Through the narratives of only a handful of characters – Oliver, Kai, Lila and Dominque – we are able to get a well-rounded sense of the culture and climate of the situation. It’s interesting to watch their relationships evolve over the years, and to see how the events of the war has influenced their individual beliefs and perspectives.
Of the two novels from McIntosh I have read now, I think
Love Minus Eighty still remains closer to my heart, but Defenders isn’t far
behind. Both are eye-opening works, and are simply excellent books. I’ve said this many
times before, but this author deserves A LOT more
attention!
A review copy of this book
was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thanks to Orbit Books!


Wow, Mogsy. As wonderful as this sounds, I'm not sure it would work for me. I'm an incredibly detail-oriented person, and I don't think I'm capable of not looking for the trees. Particularly in Science Fiction, if things don't line up/mesh together well . . . I can get cranky . . .
ReplyDeleteoh yes you're right this one sounds really different from what you read. But it must be interesting to discover the author's ideas and the world. It's something that always intrigues me, because it's different. Thanks for introducing me to the book.
ReplyDelete@ Jessica and Melliane - you guys may want to check out Love Minus Eighty, I actually think the book would jive with both of you! :) The themes in his books tend to be heavier than the details, but it works - I guess the lesson in LM80 is a also bit less...harsh compared to Defenders? Definitely less violent for sure, and a very human story. I'm a very detail oriented person too, but once you see what he's going for... Anyway, I just think it would be right up your alley ;-)
ReplyDeleteI don't read a lot of straight-up Sci Fi, but I'll help pimp this author for you by tweeting your post. :D
ReplyDeleteI saw your artwork earlier this morning over at Not Yet Read; very nice BTW :)
My thanks! :D
DeleteI wonder if the book is for me..hm tricky
ReplyDeleteWell, if you ever feel in the mood for some alien invasion, you'll find in this a unique story :)
DeleteA master of the human condition isnt he? I think I have a Will-o-mance that i am nervous about reading this one and his others because of it.
ReplyDeleteOh, I definitely have some Will-o-mance going on too, then. But I'm not nervous at all, I'll definitely read all his future books :D
DeleteI have very similar tastes as you. This is the second major positive review I have read.
ReplyDeleteI still can't get any interest built up for this book. Still am just going to pass. What is wrong with me?
Nothing's wrong with ya! Sometimes I don't feel a book either, no matter how much it seems like it should be right up my alley. But one day you should try McIntosh's work, even if it's not this one. I would pimp Love Minus Eighty again but I think everyone is tired of hearing me rave about it by now :D
Delete