The BiblioSanctum has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address in 5 seconds. If that does not occur, please visit
http://www.bibliosanctum.com
and update your bookmarks. See you at our new home!

Sunday, May 25, 2014

YA Weekend: Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor

Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor

Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy

Series: Book 3 of Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (April 8, 2014)

Author Information: Website | Twitter

Mogsy's Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars 

It’s over! And make no mistake, whatever I may say here about Dreams of Gods & Monsters, it was a good book, and the trilogy as a whole is a series I would heartily recommend. But in terms of expectations, I think I may have placed all my eggs in one basket. I went into this with hopes for the ending of all endings, which is unfair of me perhaps, but I desperately wanted back the magic I first experienced in Daughter of Smoke & Bone. Needless to say, the first book still reigns supreme as my favorite of the trilogy, but that being said, the third book didn't disappoint either. It just didn’t leave me as satisfied as I wanted to be, but I admit I was expecting a lot.

So the war is on in this book, with Jael at the head of the angel army. On the run, Akiva and his seraph sister Liraz have fled to the other side to join Karou, who has taken control of the chimaera rebellion through an impressive feat of deception and pretense. It’s a shockingly suspenseful scenario, considering how at any moment the ruse could be discovered, destroying any chance of a peaceful resolution. Still, at last we see Akiva and Karou fighting on the same side for the same cause against a common enemy.

But as much as it pains me to say, the romance itself isn’t doing much for me anymore. How far Karou and Akiva’s love story has fallen in my eyes, when I look back to my review of the first book and see how weak-in-the-knees I was for their tale of forbidden love. And now? I feel nothing. If I can hazard a guess, I think the second book pushed the melodrama a bit too far. Watching the characters dance around each other going through the motions (and emotions) when you know they’re going to end up back together anyway? Well, that just sort of takes the fun out of it. So Karou and Akiva reconcile in this book, like we’d all known was going to happen. Did they want a prize?

Up until the last few chapters though, and minus my gripes about the romance, this book was in fact quite fantastic. There are multiple plot threads going on, each punctuated by their moments of action and suspense, but also moments of tenderness and humor as well. When Jael’s army of angels first descended to earth, it made for a few incredible chapters where the panic and disbelief practically emanated off the page.

Add to that, we have a new POV character named Eliza, whom I initially thought was introduced for the sole purpose of showing us humanity’s reaction during the aforementioned significant event. As it turned out, she had a bigger role to play as well. I still think Eliza joined us way too late and her part in the overall big picture felt a little forced, given this already cramped storyline. However, I do love her character. I really can’t say much more about her for fear of revealing any spoilers, but she brought a great personality to the story, and that’s saying a lot, considering we already have Zuzana. It goes without saying, Zuze was simply delightful. As always!

Now for the actual ending. I wish I had better things to say about it but the truth is, I thought it carried on for much longer than it should have. Talk about an ending that overstayed its welcome. When all is said and done, the foes are vanquished, friends are reunited, all I wanted to do was bask in the glory of victory and soak up the feel-good vibes. I really could have done without a final bombshell. Especially since it felt like it came out of nowhere. Granted, that stuff usually works like a charm in action movies, and hey, it might work for you. But for me it was mentally exhausting. I would prefer not to feel like that at the end of a book, and especially not at a series-ender.

Don’t get me wrong, though. None of this changes the fact that I think the Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy is absolutely fantastic and one of the strongest YA series I’ve ever read. Like I said, I highly recommend these books. And if you’ve enjoyed the first two, there’s no reason at all not to read this too and finish up the saga. Despite minor hiccups here and there, it's a concluding novel well worth your time.


20 comments :

  1. I need to try book 1 one of these days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a shot. First book is definitely worth it too.

      Delete
  2. I'm always so anxious about last book because I tend to be disappoited... And well it makes me sad. But I heard so many great things about this series and I think I should try book one. I'm sorry some points bothered you here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book one is fantastic...loads of people loved books two and three as well, so maybe it was just me :)

      Delete
  3. Book three already? Hell, I was blogging when the first one came out (i think, have to check). Some people can crank these out so damn fast. Glad it stayed good though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I've had more time to process . . . while I completely agree that this is an excellent series, and worth the read, I'm more and more annoyed with this installment. I feel like we got baited and switched. We didn't get the resolution for Karou and Akiva that we wanted, and we got set up for a spin-off that Taylor's not even working on right now. *squints and frowns*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The finale was a bit of a disappointment, it almost felt like she wanted to leave readers with "more" when I would have been totally satisfied with a straightforward conclusion. Is there to be a spin-off? I didn't know that! Argh!

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed book 1 but, to be honest, I never really liked Akiva! Not sure why and I know that most people would disagree but he kind of bugged me. I haven't yet picked up 2 so have both of them now sat waiting.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty hard on the YA heroes too sometimes, and Akiva wasn't the worst but he wasn't the best either...I think both him and Karou annoyed me a little in the second book so I guess I can't put it all on him :P

      Delete
  6. Ugh yes, I'm also just completely over Karou and Akiva and it makes me sad. I liked them so much in the first two books and then they were just too much in this one.... Agreed though, good overall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the two of them in the first book as well! I think their relationship started unraveling for me in the second one though, usually angst and all the melodrama kills the romance for me :(

      Delete
  7. I can definitely understand your underwhelmed feelings for this one. My hopes were impossibly high as well and as an ending to the trilogy, it fell short of the previous books for me. I think my love for the series as a whole influenced my impression of this one in the end but it definitely didn't live up to it's predecessors. I agree with you (of course) that this is one of the best YA trilogies out there :) Wonderful review ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by! And yeah as far as YA series go, I definitely think this deserved the hype (and could even use more attention from non-YA readers, imo :) )

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed the first one, but really can't decide if I want to continue the series or not. Guess I will wait and see if the mood strikes me for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I love YA, but I definitely have to be in the right kind of mood when it comes to PARANORMAL YA. There's just so much out there. Anyway, as you know, I thought the first book was the best, but who knows maybe you'll find it different when/if you do read it! do feel reading the entire trilogy was worth it though!

      Delete
  9. I'm behind in this trilogy, and I still haven't read book two, but I still plan on finishing it at some point. It's too bad that the romance just wasn't there. I think that's got to be one of the hardest things to keep going over the course of three books. I do love her writing though, and I'm curious to see what she'll write next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people loved Karou and Akiva, maybe I'm just a jaded curmudgeon when it comes to YA romances. But I agree, Laini Taylor writes beautifully, I love her prose.

      Delete
  10. Alright so even with the weak scoring if you say regardless that it's good then I'm glad to hear that cause I know sometimes you force yourself to finish a series even though you really don't enjoy it *cough divergent cough*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's mostly because the series started so strongly - book one was so good I can see it being hard to beat. It's such a good trilogy though, very enjoyable the whole way though.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...