The BiblioSanctum has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address in 5 seconds. If that does not occur, please visit
http://www.bibliosanctum.com
and update your bookmarks. See you at our new home!

Monday, February 10, 2014

Book Review: Shadow Ops: Control Point by Myke Cole

Shadow Ops: Control Point by Myke Cole (Ace)

Genre: Science Fiction, Fantasy

Series: Book 1 of Shadow Ops

Publication Date: January 31, 2012

Author Information: Website | Twitter

Mogsy's Rating: 4 of 5 stars


Shadow Ops: Control Point is military science fiction, but definitely not the kind I had been expecting. And honestly, if I'd known earlier just what kind of excitement I was going to be in for, I probably wouldn't have let this one hang out so long on my to-read list.

Not long ago though, I was in a bit of a reading funk and was in dire need of a book to pick me up, and Control Point sure did the trick. The book follows protagonist Oscar Britton, an Army officer who suddenly manifests a power which allows him to summon portals between and within worlds. In a time when people with such magical abilities are strictly regulated and under surveillance, those who run from the government are immediately labeled renegades and hunted down. Panicked and overwhelmed, Oscar chooses to flee but in time realizes there is a lot more to this world of magic than he's ever known.

The first chapter was like a pure shot of adrenaline, laying out everything I needed to know about this book and what I saw pleased me. It pleased me greatly. Sorcery and spec-ops tactics? Soldiers with superhero-like powers and codenames? This is a marriage of science fiction and fantasy made in heaven, where magic and futuristic technology co-exist in harmony with the unadulterated action of a military sci-fi novel, from an author who obviously knows what he's writing about. 

The cover? Totally does not do this book justice. I wouldn't had a clue what was waiting for me within these pages if I hadn't dug deeper. Even the description belies the true nature of the world in this novel, which is unlike any setting I've ever encountered. An entire civilization has been altered, the existing social structure upended because of people waking up with magical talents, and Myke Cole does a great job showing this in is storytelling. A whole other realm also exists on another plane, home to a race of goblin-like creatures who are in constant war with the military base there. The magic system is also fleshed out and presented well.

I was also surprised to see that the story is not just nonstop action. Between the hectic battles and covert military operations, there is a real attempt at character building and exploration of the relationships between the main protagonist and the others around him. Britton is a much deeper character than I'd expected, a thoughtful man who struggles with his own feelings a lot, constantly asking questions and evaluating his situation. 

Like most other reviewers, I've also noted Britton's indecision and his frequent switching of sides. To tell the truth, I didn't find it as extreme as some make it out to be, though my issue with this has less to do with his wishy-washiness and more to do with the fact that his inability to make up his mind often seems like a tactic to drive the story forward. It's obvious from his constant self-analyzing that Britton is a smart, introspective person, and yet on several occasions he will do things without thinking, and always much chaos and loss of life would be a direct result of his actions. He would be sick with guilt afterwards, but it's hard to feel for him after the first time it happens, especially when he doesn't learn from his mistakes. It's a very small gripe though, considering the pile of positives that more than made up for it.

This book offered me a side of the genre that I haven't seen much of before, and as such the author has my attention. I'm looking forward to see how the rest of this series will unfold; something tells me the next book will be just as much fun and full of surprises.


10 comments :

  1. Count me in as one put off by the cover, and now I am so far behind in the series it is intimidating. But I truly have heard nothing but good things, and it appears to be one that gets stronger with each entry from reviews I have read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's only a trilogy! If anything I felt less intimidated, I think, knowing that now the whole series is complete and there will be no waiting :)

      Delete
  2. I love the futuristic novels. I've heard good things about this book as well. Might have to give it a closer look. I currently am reading Semmant, a great futuristic read by Vadim Babenko. Cyber elements to it that make it interesting. vadimbabenko.com is his site, he's got a great premise and a page turner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. Certainly not a spam comment. uh uh. no way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe we can give Matt the benefit of the doubt, I believe he's a friendly reader has left regular i.e. non-linky comments here before in the past :P

      Delete
    2. Hey sometimes people just want to share what they've really enjoyed =) But yeah if I weren't you I probably would have thought the same as Nathan LOL

      Delete
  4. And hey - people DO switch sides sometimes right! We are nothing if not fickle creatures. I look forward to reading this one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does switch sides A LOT though! Probably more than most. But it didn't take away from his character for me, and that's the most important thing I guess.

      Delete
  5. Sorry for the late reply - busy couple of weeks. But wanted to say, glad you enjoyed! It's an Amazon UK Kindle monthly deal (so only 99p!). I picked it up earlier in Feb, and cannot wait to get to it! This bodes well, since I've read some of your backlog of reviews, and seem to generally agree with you on things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoo 99p is a ridiculously good deal for a book this fun! I would have been all over that. I hope you'll enjoy it :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...