The BiblioSanctum has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address in 5 seconds. If that does not occur, please visit
http://www.bibliosanctum.com
and update your bookmarks. See you at our new home!

Friday, November 22, 2013

Book Review: Dinocalypse Now by Chuck Wendig

Dinocalypse Now by Chuck Wendig

Genre: Pulp, Fantasy

Series: Book 1 of Dinocalypse Trilogy

Publisher: Evil Hat

Date of Publication: May 2012

Author Information: Website | Twitter


Mogsy's Rating: 3 of 5 stars - "Pure escapist pulp fiction, very entertaining and fun!"

This book went straight onto my to-read pile earlier this year, for two main reasons: first, because I love Chuck Wendig, and second because...well, I figured I couldn't go wrong with any book with a title like Dinocalypse Now!

It wasn't until I was halfway through reading this book that I started to do some research and found out a little more about its background. Crowd-funded through Kickstarter in 2012, Dinocalypse now is based on Evil Hat Productions' Spirit of the Century role-playing game, which is set in a 1920s/30s-era pulp adventure world. With this information in mind, dare I say, this wild ride featuring jetpacks, talking gorillas, psychic dinosaurs, and ancient Atlanteans finally all came together for me!

It begins when a group of heroes calling themselves the Century Club are brought in to prevent the assassination of FDR, only to find that the president isn't the target -- they are! Though, what comes next is actually a threat to the entire planet as King Khan the ape conqueror storms this world through a dimensional portal, leading his vast army of primates and dinosaurs. Now it's up to the Centurions to stop him and save the world! 

I won't lie, I was very much entertained by this book. It is escapist fiction that captures the pure, unadulterated spirit of pulp. Given how characteristics like bigger-than-life heroes, beautiful women, high adventure/action in exotic places, and evil diabolical villains are the hallmarks of this genre, it wouldn't be wrong to say Dinocalypse Now is all about sensationalism over substance, but I still can't deny I had a lot of fun.

Picture a kid with an overactive imagination in a toy store, and the stories he can come up with in his head if he played an elaborate game of make-believe while surrounded by miniature buildings, animal plushies, plastic dinosaurs, action figures and toy weapons. You'll probably get something like this book. Chuck Wendig probably had a blast writing this.

In a sense, it's likely that the sheer absurdity of this book will also be its greatest appeal. I am completely aghast but also delighted by this its craziness and eccentricity. There is a place in my heart for books that are just completely out there and don't take themselves seriously, and while I didn't enjoy this one as much as Chuck Wendig's other novels, this was still a good one to pick up to pass the time.

3 of 5 stars

4 comments :

  1. This reminds me of those B-movies on the SF channel that I love to watch no matter how silly and unrealistic they are. Pulp will always be fun. Great review! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a lot like that! I am looking to pick up the second book soon :)

      Delete
  2. I have to admit tho I love Chucks books I've read thus far I don't plan on picking this one up it just didn't strike me as something I really needed to read. Looking forward to DOUBLE DEAD tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a bit different, being based on an RPG and all, plus crowd funded on Kickstarter. The second book's not high on my priority list, but I'll pick it up sometime!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...