The Waking Engine by David Edison
Genre: Science Fiction Fantasy
Series: Stand Alone
Publisher: Tor (February 11, 2014)
Author Information: Website | Twitter
Mogsy's Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Not for the first time, I wish I had a system in place for giving two ratings to a book: 1) An objective rating in which I give a book stars based on its own merits, uninfluenced by my personal feelings, and 2) A subjective rating which is based on how a book worked for me personally, or how well it meshed with my personal tastes. This is going to be a very tough review for me to write, simply because I've never read a book like this, where those two ratings could not be any more different, but I'm also glad I have the chance to explain why.
Genre: Science Fiction Fantasy
Series: Stand Alone
Publisher: Tor (February 11, 2014)
Author Information: Website | Twitter
Mogsy's Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Not for the first time, I wish I had a system in place for giving two ratings to a book: 1) An objective rating in which I give a book stars based on its own merits, uninfluenced by my personal feelings, and 2) A subjective rating which is based on how a book worked for me personally, or how well it meshed with my personal tastes. This is going to be a very tough review for me to write, simply because I've never read a book like this, where those two ratings could not be any more different, but I'm also glad I have the chance to explain why.
The
book begins with a young man named Cooper waking up in an unfamiliar
place to two strangers fussing over his sudden appearance, and the
answers he gets are decidedly not reassuring. Apparently, he is dead.
Contrary to what we know about death, when someone dies they merely wake
up as themselves somewhere else, appearing on one of a possible million universes where they will once again live out their lives and the whole
process repeats itself. That is, until you reach the end and wind up at
the City Unspoken, also known as the City of the Dead, because only on
this world a person can find true death.
This
is where Cooper wakes up. But he has also come at a very unsettling
time, where something seems to be preventing True Death from happening,
leading to widespread frustration and panic among the denizens of the
city. There are some who believe Cooper may be the solution to the
problem, as he is different. For one thing, he has a belly button. A
navel is really nothing but a scar left over from the attachment of the
umbilical cord, and because all are born only once but die many times,
waking up on new worlds with their bodies whole and unmarred, the fact
Cooper has one holds great significance. He may not be really dead.
And
from here on out, it gets even stranger. But hey, you'd be strange too if you were
Cooper, dragged across the metaverse by a goddess, kidnapped by
faeries, drugged by Cleopatra, engulfed by a machine-flesh creature, and
pursued by undead monsters and evil elf beings. I love it when I find a
unique book with very different, offbeat ideas, but The Waking Engine
treads into seriously bizarre territory. More bizarre than I could
handle, perhaps. It's the kind of book I can't tackle at night right
before bed, because I wake up in the morning and can't remember if I
actually dreamed or read these weird images. I tried really hard to
embrace the weirdness, but it soon became clear that I was in way over
my head.
And that's a real shame, too. It
almost breaks my heart to say I didn't like this one as much as I
thought I would. The ideas in this story are some of the most original
ones I've ever encountered in science fiction and fantasy, and the
characters are unconventional and diverse as well. Unfortunately, the
strangeness was a barrier for me, preventing me from appreciating all of
the positive aspects of this book to its fullness. It's difficult to
connect to a character, for instance, when instead I'm putting all my
effort into trying to make sense of everything that's happening. The
world is also wildly imaginative, which is another huge plus to this
book, but words cannot describe just how amazing and fantastical it is. I
mean that literally in this case; I get the sense from Edison's writing
that the environments he pictures in his mind are so vast and visionary
that they transcend mere language.
I wanted to
like The Waking Engine so much because objectively, it is a great book,
deftly and beautifully written with ground breaking ideas, interesting
characters, and incredible world building. But I have to be honest, it
was just not my style. There's lots to love about this book, but it just
has to find its intended audience, which unfortunately is not me. On
the other hand, I think fans of "un-reality" or the metaphysical or more
abstract elements in their speculative fiction will be very well
pleased with this one. Give it a shot if that's the type of stories you
like, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
A review copy of this book
was provided to me by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thanks to Tor Books!


See I know this might sound strange but your description actually gets me more EXCITED to read the book! I'm all about the bizarre and weird crazy clashing ideas. I get this oddball feeling this one is going to work for me perfectly.
ReplyDeletePlus - I already have insane dreams anyway so this would be a treat. Excellently worded review =)
No, it's not strange, I'm actually VERY glad to hear that! That was my goal for this post, the fact that it might not be a good fit for me but at the same time I do want to turn people who are interested in books like this on to it!
DeleteI'm so intrigued! I've read some really positive reviews of this, so it sounds like it's one of those books that you'll either love or hate. Despite the two stars, I still want to read it! And I say go for it: create a rating system where you have two different ratings. I've thought about doing the very same thing. Some books you can just tell they are well written and gorgeously imagined, but they just don't work for you personally. Those are the hardest to review with just one rating.
ReplyDeleteThanks, I think I will! Or maybe create a system for only a few certain books, like this one. Because I really think this one will find quite a few fans.
DeleteI would say objective rating for this one: 4 stars. It really was quite unique and had some cool ideas.
Great review. This is very much a strange and bizarre story. I had no idea what I was in for when I picked it up. Like you said, it's beautifully written and then it's paired with this just story that is just so strange and different. I was conflicted because I could appreciate the writing, but I don't always do well when things are so out there. Your review does a good job of explaining its strengths, but still getting across why it might not work for everyone. I haven't read Mieville, but have it heard it recommended for people who enjoy his books.
ReplyDeleteYes, that is actually a very good comparison. I've only read one book by Mieville, KRAKEN, which is from what I heard one of his more off the wall titles. Again, it was too weird for me, I actually had the same kind of opinion on it similar as this one.
DeleteI bounced of this one from its description. But maybe a Mieville comparison can sway me. Then again, I can always just go read more Mieville.
ReplyDeleteI really should pick up Mieville again too and give some of his less offbeat books another chance.
DeleteI put this one down in the end - I didn't like the writing enough to put up with the bizarreness, that felt a little try-hard. Just couldn't be bothered with it. Glad to know I wasn't the only one who wasn't a fan.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I don't do well with bizarre. At least not to this extreme. Anyway, I'd been curious about what you thought, since I know you had this one as well! Sorry you were disappointed too.
Delete