The BiblioSanctum has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address in 5 seconds. If that does not occur, please visit
http://www.bibliosanctum.com
and update your bookmarks. See you at our new home!

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Book Review: Deadly Curiosities by Gail Z. Martin

Deadly Curiosities by Gail Z. Martin

Genre: Urban Fantasy

Series: Book 1 of Deadly Curiosities

Publisher: Solaris (June 24, 2014)

Author Information: Website | Twitter

Mogsy's Rating: 4 of 5 stars


This is the second novel I’ve read by Gail Z. Martin and I have to say, her books have a way of wrapping around the reader like a well-loved, comfortable sweater. Prior to Deadly Curiosities, I’ve read the first book of her Ascendant Kingdoms series Ice Forged, and as traditional fantasies go, it wasn’t groundbreaking but still offered enough new with the old to give me that nice, warm fuzzy feeling. Similarly, I felt good about being in familiar urban fantasy territory with her new book Deadly Curiosities, at the same time delighting in some of the things that made it unique.

The book stars Cassidy Kincaide, owner of an upscale antique/curio store called Trifles & Folly in the heart of Charleston, South Carolina. Being able to touch an object and know its history is a special psychic gift that runs in her family – an ability that comes in handy in her line of work. It’s the perfect front for Cassidy and the Alliance’s real work: to seek out supernatural and possibly dangerous items and weed them out of the general public before they can harm anyone. However, when reports that a number of mundane antiques are suddenly turning into “Spookies”, it’s up to Cassidy and her coworkers to find out what dark force is changing all these previously harmless things into haunted objects.

Without a doubt, the highlight of this book for me was the setting. No joke, I wanted to drop everything right there and then and move to Charleston. I have read urban fantasies set in a number of different places, from big cities to sleepy towns, and very few have made me feel a pull this intense. Martin captured the atmosphere perfectly, combining the fictional paranormal elements with the rich history and culture of the city, as well as the hospitality and charm of its people. I wanted to shop the antique shops, visit the museums, stay at the bed and breakfasts, even do the nighttime ghost tours and the whole shebang. Well, minus the evil demons, of course.

In the past I’ve also noticed that authors who go from writing epic fantasy to urban fantasy often stumble with pacing. There is definitely less of an issue with Deadly Curiosities. However, I did feel that sections in the middle lagged a bit, and several characters central to the strike team at the end were introduced much later than I would have preferred. Still, this was probably my one and only complaint. On the whole, this was a great story and I especially enjoyed the first part of the novel, which hooked right away with the introduction to the central premise. I also love the smooth, natural and modern voices of Cassidy and the crew. Gail Z. Martin is a natural at writing urban fantasy; you would think she’s been doing this right from the start.

One interesting thing to note though, is that unlike every other urban fantasy series out there, there is a conspicuous lack of a romantic side plot for our protagonist. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing is up to the individual reader. Those who like a bit of romance with their UF might be disappointed, while others who are neutral or don’t mind something different might find it refreshing. Personally, I don’t think you can force a love story; it either works or it doesn’t. I would rather read an urban fantasy sans romance than one with a romance awkwardly shoehorned in just for the sake of having one, so I say good for Martin! (But for a second, I did get worried – I thought perhaps Cassidy would end up falling for Sorren, her silent business partner at Trifles & Folly. He’s also a 500-year-old vampire. So in this case, I guess you can say I was doubly glad it did not happen. The world has enough vampire romances.)

I am, however, a little tempted to hunt down Gail Z. Martin’s other Deadly Curiosity Adventure stories, from her series that spans over 500 years starring Sorren. That’s what a good book does – make you want more. I do hope she has plans to continue expanding Cassidy’s story as well, because this was a lot of fun. I would return to Charleston and Trifies & Folly in a heartbeat.


A review copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thanks to Solaris Books!

22 comments :

  1. Oh I want to discover this town as well and the characters! You know I'm a sucker for UF books and I confess when I saw this one in your post last time I was really curious to see what you would tihink of it and now I just want to read it!!!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, a UF book I read that you haven't yet! LOL, it's usually you who points me in the direction of good UF, glad to be able to do it for you this time :)

      Delete
  2. Glad you liked this one too! I'm with you, seriously relieved that there wasn't a Cassidy/Sorren romance going on. I thought the vibe between them was more like cousins - if one of your cousins were half a millennium older than you.mil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, very good point, I loved that they were practically family! Another reason why I didn't want the two of them to be romantically involved, I think on some level I knew it would feel weird!

      Delete
  3. Curio shop is a good setting for a UF. almost anything can happen. I like it.

    Maybe it's my current Gravity Falls obsession talking, but this looks like something I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curio shop was perfect. Also a clever way to tie objects into the history of the city!

      Delete
  4. Well said. I finished this over the weekend and have my review scheduled to run tomorrow. I don't think I enjoyed it quite as much as you did - I'd probably peg it at 3 or 3.5 star read - but it was an enjoyable read. I loved the ghost story aspects, and really appreciated that she didn't weight things down with a romantic subplot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think it's interesting how most people who read it noted the lack of a romance plot. Just goes to show how predictable patterns are developing in UF too and it's refreshing when those cliches are broken.

      Delete
  5. I love it when the scenery and setting is a good one that makes you really want to BE there. I am really digging the sound of there not being a romance. I mean I like romance but I'd be interested to experience a UF book where it just wasn't there. It would be odd but now I'm really curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it worked perfectly without the romance and a romance didn't need to be there. I'm glad she kept the main story at the forefront without feeling the need to fall into the usual conventions.

      Delete
  6. Agreed, I really enjoyed this one as well (and I'm getting my review up sometime this week--damn having to work full time!!) I thought I would miss the romance, but I really didn't. The setting and characters took over and really did a good job of carrying a non-romantic story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, the characters were able to hold their own without the romance, which is the hallmark of a good story. Goes to show romance doesn't need to be a requirement to a enjoyable UF, I didn't miss it at all either.

      Delete
  7. I can definitely do without the romance so this would work for me - love UF and a curiosity shop as well - colour me happy. So, I thought I'd have a look on Amazon, just to see how much this is - ahem, £1,472.47 pence +£2.80 postage for UK (cos, if you're spending that much then postage is a mere bagatelle after all!) Mehinks somebody may have made a little mistake with that one somewhere along the line - just a teeny mistake!! It did make me grin - wonder if anyone will buy one!
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah that's definitely...off, LOL. Interesting too, because it's pubbed by Solaris and they are a UK publisher! Someone better tell them their little hiccup there :P

      Delete
  8. Sounds good :) I do like her fantasy books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I still have only read Ice Forged, though the sequel Reign of Ash is on my to-read list.

      Delete
  9. Ah! I'm so glad you liked it too! I'll agree, the pacing did stumble a bit mid way through, but overall it was so fun! I was nervous to see what you thought, I was hoping it wasn't just me who enjoyed it! Honestly if she'd ended up with Sorren I would have quit, I don't think I could do another age old vampire and young woman romance, even if I did love his character. What did you think of the museum scene? I was on the edge of my seat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The museum scene was fantastic! I love museums especially in a city like Charleston rich in history? Just a dream come true. But it totally hurt to see all those pieces damaged in the ensuing chaos! XD

      Delete
  10. I'm really excited about this book, and have no excuse for not having already read it. Even more excited now, and not only b/c I LOVE Charleston--a frequent vacation spot for my family when I was growing up. And I'd rather have no romance than wishy-washy romance, so I'm pretty sure I'll be fine that. Great review, Mogsy. Ima gonna love this one, I think :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read reviews from others who have fond memories of Charleston that just LOVED this book (like Sarrie above ;-) ) and I mean, for someone like me who has never been there who was able to feel such a connection through this book, I can imagine how it must be for readers who have ties to the place!

      Delete
  11. Oooooo, I think this is majorly an Anya book. I picked it up at BEA because Tabitha told me to and now I'm getting more and more intrigued. It sounds great and thanks for the awesome review :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely, I can see how this could be an Anya book! Enjoy it :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...