The BiblioSanctum has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address in 5 seconds. If that does not occur, please visit
http://www.bibliosanctum.com
and update your bookmarks. See you at our new home!

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Mogsy's Book Haul - For Review, Purchased, and Goodies From Balticon

I'm putting up an impromptu Book Haul post this week -- a few review books came in and I also made several purchases, most of which came from Balticon which took place over Memorial Day weekend.


Flight of the Golden Harpy - harpies! An underrated and underused creature of fantasy for sure. That was enough pique my interest in this book, my thanks to Tor for a copy of this ARC.

The Boost - another review book from Tor, this techno-sociological novel sounds fascinating and seems my kind of sci-fi novel, not to mention a nice change of pace from my usual reads.

Cibola Burn - speaking of sci-fi, I was ecstatic to receive this for review from Orbit! I love The Expanse series and have been gobbling each book as they come out, and I'm so pumped for book four.

The Three - easily one of my top books of 2014, as you can see from my review here. The Three was released earlier this month and obviously I just had to have a beautiful hard cover copy to call my own.

This year was my first Balticon, and my first convention in years, actually. There hasn't been much con action since a year or so before my daughter was born, so this was a great event for the entire family, being the perfect size and a very friendly and intimate environment. I got to meet a bunch of writers and get my books signed, from authors Brandon Sanderson (who was the Guest of Honor -- and like the nicest guy ever), Jon Sprunk, Tom Doyle, Jo Walton, and others. 2013 Compton Crook Award winner of last year's Balticon Myke Cole also signed my Shadow Ops trilogy and EVEN MY BABY. My daughter was surprisingly calm considering someone was scribbling on her knee, actually. Two years old and showing an affinity towards authors already, that's my girl.

Here are a couple cool new acquisitions from the con I wanted to feature:

Among Others - I have a copy of My Real Children by Jo Walton that I have to get to, but I couldn't resist also picking up a copy of the award winning Among Others to get signed as well. Ms. Walton told me she wasn't too fond of the cover to this, but I think the color's actually quite eye-catching.

Firstborn/Defending Elysium - at one of the autograph sessions for Brandon Sanderson, the vendor still had about a dozen or so of these convention-exclusion tête-bêche hardcover editions featuring the two short stories previously released online. So excited that I was able to snag a copy!

And yes, we actually have a few books from the digital pile:


The Mirror Empire - this book is so drool-worthy! Ideally, I had wanted to read Kameron Hurley's Bel Dame Apocrypha series first before even thinking about hitting up this book, but dammit, I have the willpower of a bendy straw! I caved and requested this from NetGalley.

The Bullet-Catcher's Daughter - looks like it's Angry Robot week! Another one of their books I'm really looking forward to, which I also got via NetGalley. This one just sounds so cool!

Skin Game - Dresden Files audiobook. Enough said. I love the audio versions of this series, not least because of narrator James Marsters. The voice of James Marsters IS Harry Dresden, and there is absolutely no doubt about that in my mind.

20 comments :

  1. I know they sent me the Boost and I'm curious to receive it. You had many books this week and I hope you'll enjoy them all. I'm curious to see your revieww. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started The Boost - so far it's not bad, even if it's completely different than what I usually read!

      Delete
  2. No fair. I want to read about Harpies! I think, that book wasn't even on my radar in reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now kind of wary - I've seen some not so favorable reviews for the book, but I'm still looking forward to some harpy.

      Delete
  3. Nice haul! I've got the digital copy of Mirrror Empire too, but I have to sit down and give The Expanse series a second chance at some point. I was OK, but just didn't grab me enough to keep reading my first time through.

    No big additions for me - just some strange, weird, and odd additions to the shelves this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Expanse series has been interesting...over the last three books it has had its ups and downs but I gotta say it's a lot of fun!

      Delete
  4. OOh nice! These are all new to me but I hope you enjoy them all!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so be sure to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen that Golden Harpy book pop up on my recommended lists a few times! I'm really excited to see what you think, I've come close to pre-ordering it a few times just for the Harpy part. There is a new YA out with a harpy for a main character, Promise of Shadows I think is the name? You might want to look at it if you want more bird-person action.
    I'm totally jealous of your con going. Not going to lie, I'm glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Promise of Shadows - got it. I'll have to check it out, thanks for the rec! :D

      And I'm glad I got to go out to the con too, I won't be going to any more for a while, these days it's all the small ones and the ones close to us! At least until the kiddo's a bit older :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to it, it's going to be hard to hold off reading until closer to release date.

      Delete
  7. I just bought The Three also and can't wait to get to it. Cons are so much fun! I love that your little girl got to go. I'm going to San Diego Comic Con in July and both my 13 and 15 year old kids are going, I'm so excited! Awesome haul, Tor seems to have lots of good stuff lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, SDCC that sounds so much fun! I hope your kids will enjoy, I can't wait til my daughter's old enough to enjoy these cons (well, I hope she'll grow up to be interested in the fandom, anyway :D )

      Delete
  8. I think I remember Myke Cole mentioning he signed somebody's baby on Twitter, I am amused that was your little girl! Sounds like you will foist your book habit on her :)

    I still have a hard time accepting James Marsters with an American accent, although everyone says he's an awesome narrator for those series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yep, that was my little girl!

      And I know what you mean, I hear James Marsters and will forever think Spike. He does fantastic voices for the audiobooks though, not surprising since his British accent was so convincing on Buffy (at least to me, anyway! ^_^)

      Delete
  9. I've been holding out to read a review from someone one I trust before being completely sold on the Harpie book. I'll keep my eye out for your review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get to it soon! I'm kind of wary now too, with some of the not so great reviews I glimpsed on Goodreads, but I only scanned the star ratings. I definitely want to go into this one with fresh eyes!

      Delete
  10. I'm so jealous of your Flight of the Golden Harpy - maybe that means I can expect a copy to arrive any day soon!

    That is so neat that she was cool about Myke signing her leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm going to be starting that one soon! Hope you get your copy too :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...