Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Book 1 of Shadow Watch
Publisher: Angry Robot (May 27, 2014)
Author Information: Website | Twitter
Mogsy's Rating: 3 of 5 stars
I think reading this book gave me better insight into coulrophobia. I mean, clowns are kinda creepy I guess. But I’ve also always found it hard to look at them and not see beyond just some guy in colorful clothes and makeup. Supernatural clowns on the other hand, are a whole other matter. Especially when they are someone’s nightmare literally come to life.
But in spite of what the title and cover initially led me to believe, this is not a horror novel. Night Terrors would probably fit more comfortably in the urban fantasy and paranormal section. That said, it’s also darkly comedic and not just a little bit unhinged. Think buddy cop movie meets Tim Burton, quirky and fun but also a little macabre.
The book’s protagonist is Audra Hawthorne, an officer of the Shadow Watch, the supernatural agency dedicated to patrolling the border between our world and the dream realm. Their units are generally organized into pairs made up of an Ideator and their Incubus – in other words, the dreamer and the living manifestation of their worst nightmare. For Audra, dreams of the psychotic clown Jinx has terrorized her ever since she was a child, but now they are partners working together to keep both Earth and Nod safe from rogue Incubi.
Because they are essentially the products of our dreams, Incubi come in all shapes and sizes. You’ll see some pretty wild dream-folk in this book, like Candy, the Incubus made completely out of – you guessed it – chocolate and other yummy sweets (rumored to have been dreamt up by a dentist’s son) or the Deathmobile, a nightmare hearse. I really enjoyed the originality of these crazy manifestations and the idea that our mortal realm exists in parallel with the zany world of Nod.
And yet, I didn’t feel as excited about this book as I thought. The awesome premise aside, the plot was mediocre not to mention formulaic with all the usual elements of an urban fantasy thrown in. As a detective story it was rather predictable, which is disappointing especially given all the other cool ideas in here. And while I appreciated the contrast between the level-headed Audra versus the insane and unpredictable Jinx, I found a lot of the action to be over-the-top and mostly exaggerated slapstick. On the one hand, I loved the delightfully creepy way Jinx was portrayed. But personally, that kind of humor just isn’t my style.
I’ll also admit I might be just a bit picky with my urban fantasy. On the whole, Night Terrors is a pretty good book, if nothing else a quick and entertaining read with a few rather neat, never-seen-before ideas. The story itself didn’t take off for me, mostly because the style isn’t my cup of tea, but I actually think it could click with most people.
A review copy of this book
was provided to me by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thanks to Angry Robot!


Alright I'm hoping I'll like this one more than you. I love the sound of this humor (cause heck I like some slap stick humor and satire - I love Pratchett and A Lee Martinez after all) So this might actually end up being right up my alley.
ReplyDeleteThe clown....oh the clown. I didn't even realize there was/is going to be creepy nightmare manifestations. I hadn't even read the synopsis now that I think of it. Of which you do a much better job summing up then they did.
That's why I always like to say something about the plot in my reviews, as the book's description is not always enough!
DeleteI hope you'll like the slapstick more than I did too, it was just slightly on the juvenile side for me, but then again we are dealing with a psycho clown after all :P
That cover creeps me out so much
ReplyDeleteYeah the cover is...kind of scary both in the creepy and atrocious way. It's not exactly my favorite when it comes to Angry Robot!
DeleteI'm really surprised because I was 100% that the book was a horror one. I didn't expect a UF one, at first yes but after seeing the label on NG I changedmy mind. At the same time I think it's intriguing to use clows even if I'm not sure I could be comfortable lol. But well if the plot isn't good I think I'll pass. Thanks for the review.
ReplyDeleteThe cover and the title threw me off too, I was prepared to be creeped out but this was more of a fun, off-the-wall quirky paranormal UF. Oh if you're uncomfortable with clowns then it might have been a good idea to pass :D
DeleteI admit I passed on this because a) clowns and b) hate the cover. It reminds me of an indie cover, and isn't up to AR's usually awesome cover standards. I know I shouldn't judge, blah blah blah, but hey, sometimes I just can't get past a cover I don't like.
ReplyDeleteI have to agree, the cover is pretty horrid, I'm not sure if they were trying to go for a retro throwback look, but it looks like someone cut a couple figures out of a magazine and slapped them on a background.
DeleteTo be completely honest, I don't think I could get back the cover enough to ever try and read this book. LOL! I just saw that Tammy said the same thing--yeah, craptastic cover and clowns . . . IT ruined me for clowns for LIFE.
ReplyDeletehaha yeah, I definitely loved this one more than you did, I can see what you're saying in the way it was sort of formulaic though. I was able to look past that and just enjoy the amazingtastic world which Waggoner and created which was much for fascinating for me with all the various Incubi - and I can't believe I forgot to mention the hearse in my review!! Because that was one WAY cool car!
ReplyDeleteI don't read a TON of UF so I think maybe that's why I wasn't as jaded as you are on them, I'm not quite as picky. :D
I'll have to let you know how the second book goes - I'm hoping it's even better than the first one :D
April @ My Shelf Confessions