Death Sworn by Leah Cypess
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Series: Book 1 of Death Sworn
Publisher: Greenwillow (March 4, 2014)
Author Information: Website | Twitter
Mogsy's Rating: 3 of 5 stars
After reading this book, I just had to look inside myself and wonder if I’m suffering from YA burnout. But now I’ve gone and painted a negative mood over this review, and that wasn’t really my intention at all! Death Sworn was in fact a pretty good book. I just don’t doubt for a second that I would have enjoyed it even more if I hadn’t already gone through so many young adult novels that displayed similar themes since the beginning of this year.
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Series: Book 1 of Death Sworn
Publisher: Greenwillow (March 4, 2014)
Author Information: Website | Twitter
Mogsy's Rating: 3 of 5 stars
After reading this book, I just had to look inside myself and wonder if I’m suffering from YA burnout. But now I’ve gone and painted a negative mood over this review, and that wasn’t really my intention at all! Death Sworn was in fact a pretty good book. I just don’t doubt for a second that I would have enjoyed it even more if I hadn’t already gone through so many young adult novels that displayed similar themes since the beginning of this year.
I actually really enjoyed the premise behind this one. A young
sorceress whose powers are waning. A secret society of assassins. When Ileni is
tasked by the Elders to tutor a group of killers in the ways of magic, what
else could she do? She must do her duty and travel to the caves where the
assassins make their home base, and while she’s there she might as well try and
figure out what had caused the mysterious deaths of her last two predecessors.
But I suppose once you start getting a lot of the same, even
the most minor of flaws become more apparent. Right away I noticed a distinct
paucity of world-building. In the author’s defense though, this entire story
pretty much takes place in a system of caves. While I found the lives and the
culture of the assassins fascinating, there was very little context for their
place in the world; for all intents and purposes their society and Ileni
existed in this bubble far removed from everything else. There’s talk of
outside conflict with the empire and their tyranny, but those struggles may as
well have been in another universe. Leah Cypess succeeded in getting my
attention – but I wanted to know more! This book was relatively short, so I can’t
imagine length restrictions had anything to do with it.
I also liked the main protagonist well enough, but I wasn’t
fully convinced she was someone I could root for. Ileni is the latest to join
the swelling ranks of YA heroines that I think really should know better. Taking unnecessary risks and falling in love with strange, standoffish boys
seem to be a popular trend these days. The romance in particular didn’t sit
well with me at all. My frustration with it didn’t originate so much from the
insta-love between Ileni and the assassin Sorin, but more with the way it was
written.
The thing is, insta-love by itself doesn’t always have to be
a negative. Sometimes an author can inject so much passion and chemistry into a
relationship, it doesn’t matter if the spark ignites and flares over ten years
or ten seconds – it just works. However, with Ileni and Sorin I didn’t feel any
of that. Their personalities and values were at complete odds to begin with,
and in a way I think Cypess did her job a little too well in making this apparent. You could immediately tell (yet
understand) why Ileni and Sorin's interactions with each other would be awkward and strained, as they come from two different worlds.
Then all of a sudden, they were together. It was like one moment, Ileni was still
struggling with her inability to make Sorin understand her moral objections to
his work and lifestyle, the next she was reminiscing about the night of passion they spent
together. Wait, what? I had to go back and make sure this really happened. Not only did the
timing feel way off, I also couldn’t believe I was robbed of the sweet,
delicious build up to the moment.
But make no mistake, there was plenty to like as well. Death
Sworn is in part a mystery, following Ileni on her journey to find out what
happened to the two tutors who came to the assassins’ caves before her, and the
reasons for their demise. You’ll also be led to wonder what her flagging powers
have to do with all this, and in the end the answers might shock you as they genuinely
shocked me. I was impressed and totally blindsided by the twist in the story. It was impactful, and very well done.
I’m still undecided as to whether or not I will continue the
series. I probably sounded harsher than I meant to be, as this was a good book
and a promising start. But I made it a goal and a reading challenge to read more
YA this year, but the more I read, the higher the bar is set, and my tastes
have no doubt gotten a lot more finicky as compared to the start of 2014.


Yes I can understand the problem... it's difficult when you have all the same ideas in a lot of books. It happens to me somtimes. One I really had the bad impression to read the same book and I didn't like that at all. I hope it will be better if you continue the series though. Thanks for the review.
ReplyDeleteThat's why I should try to mix it up with the categories/genres I read. I can't read a whole string of YA books or urban fantasy books even though I love them both because sooner or later the stories start to bleed together.
DeleteBut it has such a good cover! Shouldn't that tell me what I need to know?
ReplyDeleteIt really is a terribly "blah" cover.
DeleteDo not even get me started on all this YA and NA heroines who fall in love with the bad boy, the boy with the tattoos, the boy that hits them
ReplyDeleteBlah. At first I was incredibly excited about this book. I mean, come one--ASSASSINS. But then mediocre reviews started showing up left and right, and then I remembered how underwhelmed I had been with Mistwood, and now . . . maybe if I can get it from the library. I completely agree with you about insta-love which is why it's such a tricky element. If it doesn't totally hit you with the FEELS, then it's worse than not having any romance at all (IMO), and if you can read about their "night of passion" and not even realize it . . . *snorts* You're also not the first person who had a problem rooting for Dollface. Like I said . . . library. Maybe.
ReplyDeleteJessica @ Rabid Reads
It does seem that the girls always fall for the dangerous boy ....heck Second Star did that as well. Now we must go on the hunt for a YA book that bucks the trend. Wait Earth Girl and Everness doesnt do that. But those of course arent the typical ya books. We need more ya books from our favorite spec fic publishers it seems. I still really enjoyed this one but not for the romantic element at all.
ReplyDeleteI have this from Edelweiss to review, but it's one that just got lost in the shuffle, unfortunately. I've seen mixed reviews, but I'm still interested in checking it out.
ReplyDeleteOhh I still haven't read this! Thanks for your great review, I think you've helped me make up my mind about it: the more time that goes by by, the more I think I'm better off just not picking it up. Something about it makes me think I've seen it all before, like your review says, and honestly I'd rather read something new and exciting.
ReplyDeleteProbably makes me a horrible person! I hope I get around to it eventually!
Shaheen @ Speculating on SpecFic.