Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction
Series: Book 1 of Earth Girl
Publisher: Pyr (March 5, 2013)
Author Information: Website | Twitter
Mogsy's Rating: 4.5 of 5 stars
When I think about Young Adult books from Pyr, words that spring immediately to mind are “distinct”, “unconventional” and “unique”. I guess that’s why I’ve been counting on this book to lift me out of my YA slump. I’ve been feeling rather burned out by the love triangles, broody heroes, and paranormal/fantasy settings in this category lately, and Earth Girl looked like the perfect cure to this particular malaise.
My instincts proved correct.
The story of Earth Girl takes place in the far-flung future, narrated by eighteen-year-old Jarra. There are many names for people like her. Handicapped. Throwback. Nean. Ape. All of them mean one thing: that she is among the one in a thousand born with an immune disorder that confines her to earth. Humans have developed portal technology at this point, using it to colonize a multitude of worlds, but Jarra can’t visit any of them. If she traveled anywhere she would go into anaphylactic shock in seconds, and die if not returned immediately to earth’s atmosphere.
But even in the year 2788, humanity has its bigoted attitudes. So when the time comes to enroll in university, Jarra chooses her preferred subject History, but decides to invent a fake military background for herself to apply at a school on another planet whose class of norms who would be on earth for the first year of practical studies. Jarra is sick and tired of being looked down on for being handicapped, and she’s determined to show a bunch of stupid Exos just what an ape girl is capable of.
There is therefore nothing subtle about the social message in Earth Girl. This is a book infused with emotion and meaning. But even beyond this, there is so much more to love. While the plot may be a bit predictable at times, very little else about this novel falls prey to clichés, especially when it comes to the characters. You meet Lecturer Playdon, for example, and might immediately label him a hardball professor, bent on giving our protagonist a hard time – because adults obviously are in YA novels just to get in the way! Or take Dalmora Rostha, daughter of a rich, famous vid director. She’s totally going to be the snooty, spoiled and annoyingly fake arch nemesis in this story, am I right? Now the lascivious pair of Betas though, surely they are there just to provide comic relief, cause trouble and flunk out?
Nope, nope, and nope, wrong on all counts. This book will surprise you at every turn, and I can’t tell you how refreshing that is.
I also confess, I have another reason for loving this book. For you see, in the context of Earth Girl, Jarra’s “practical prehistory studies” is just another word for Archaeology. And I love Archaeology. While studying it and going on digs in college, I’d always entertained thoughts of future archaeologists excavating our modern cities and wondered what they would make of our civilization from the things they find. It’s like the author was reading my mind! When Jarra and her class dig up the ruins of New York, the methods and technology they use may be very different, but still the systematic methods are there and so is the culture and spirit of a dig site. World building is fantastic in terms of creating a great atmosphere.
My only quibbles are minor. The dialogue can be stunted at times, making Jarra and her friends sound and act like they are much younger than their eighteen years. Fian, the romantic interest, is probably the worst offender. Jarra also seems to be an expert at everything. A character even makes a joke about this at one point in the novel. As well, there is a tendency to tell instead of show and moments of overt info-dumping, but as many of these instances are worked into a classroom setting, they were easily forgivable. Other than that, as you can see from my rating, this book was close to perfect.
Thank you, Janet Edwards, for breathing some new life into YA for me. Earth Girl was a very enjoyable read and I’m looking forward to the next book.
A review copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thanks to Pyr Books!


Ohh… this sounds rather intriguing. I hate to say it, but the cover and title didn't interest me much, but it really does sound quite good. Also, it's funny how we can be more forgiving of info dumps when they are lessons in the a classroom, some how, it just seems easier accept.
ReplyDeleteHaha, the cover didn't do anything for you, eh. I think I was the complete opposite. The cover drew me in, because it's just so beautiful...and I'd always wondered why the girl is restrained by a ball and chains and the ball is Earth. But I told myself I shouldn't grab a book just because of a pretty cover and dismissed this one at first! If it weren't for some of the reviews I've seen I still wouldn't have probably read this one. But I'm really glad I did...and now I understand the cover :)
DeleteYes this might actually work for me
ReplyDeleteLet me know if you read it :)
DeleteI am so glad you loved it as much as I did. I do agree that sometimes the characters seemed much younger than I would have liked but I was able to easily look over that. Especially in the second book. I am really curious to see what you think about how she treat Jarra's "knows everything" trait, because I agree she did know a bit too much about everything. I still absolutely loved it. And you are so right about those characters and how they each turned out to be something so completely different then what was expected. Loved it all! Hurry hurry read book two!
ReplyDeleteI'm excited to hear the great stuff about book 2, and while Jarra might be a know-it-all, I'm glad she isn't a Mary Sue because she is definitely a flawed character and not idealized in any way. It is just very noticeable the way she seems to be well versed in every subject, she could have taught the course if she wanted :P
DeleteI saw you add this to Currently-Reading on Goodreads and I was really excited to see what you had to say. I've heard great things about this, I really can't remember where I saw it first. I've had it in my Amazon cart for an incredibly long time. I will definitely move it up on my list!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you might be reading this one sooner than you thought, I hope my review was helpful :)
DeleteI also love this cover, but I'm not crazy about the cover for the second book. Looking forward to reading this soon.
ReplyDeleteLOL I didn't think the second book's cover was that bad, though when set next to the beauty of this one it did pale in comparison! But I'm sure any cover would, I mean this one was so gorgeous! :)
DeleteOh I didn't know this one but I love the cover and thesound of it. It's always so interesting to know the author's ideas about a possible future and I always really love to discover the worlds like that. Thanks for the review!
ReplyDeleteI think this one might be right up your alley Melliane! :)
DeleteYes yes yes! I'm so burned out on the typical YA these days and adore finding unique stories. I just finished book two and omg you must read it right this instant. I found the dialogue and info-dumping issues much improved while keeping all the archeology, snark, and depth that we love from book one :D
ReplyDeleteLOL all right all right, between Tabitha's and your comment I think I will have to bump up book 2 right away!
DeleteThis is at the top of my TBR list, and if I don't find time to read it soon . . . well, that doesn't warrant thinking out. I WILL find the time. Glad you LOVED it ;)
ReplyDeleteOhhhhh nice review. I read this one last year and really enjoyed it too. Can't wait for the sequel... it's coming out soonish, right?
ReplyDeleteAlso, have you seen the British cover? Very dramatic. I think it suits Jarra much better!