Three by Sarah Lotz
Genre: Horror
Series: Stand Alone
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company (May 20, 2014)
Author Information: Website | Twitter
Mogsy's Rating: 5 of 5 stars
Why do people read Horror? I’m sure there are many reasons, but I’ll tell you why I do. Few other genres give me that adrenaline rush. I love that growing sensation of dread as the suspense builds, the sound in my ears of my heart pounding faster and faster, that tingling feeling that runs up my arms and spine. I enjoy that in a good horror/thriller novel, and sometimes I go deliberately looking for a good scare.
Genre: Horror
Series: Stand Alone
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company (May 20, 2014)
Author Information: Website | Twitter
Mogsy's Rating: 5 of 5 stars
Why do people read Horror? I’m sure there are many reasons, but I’ll tell you why I do. Few other genres give me that adrenaline rush. I love that growing sensation of dread as the suspense builds, the sound in my ears of my heart pounding faster and faster, that tingling feeling that runs up my arms and spine. I enjoy that in a good horror/thriller novel, and sometimes I go deliberately looking for a good scare.
That’s what initially drew me to The Three. To understand
why, you also have to know that for years now, I have been struggling with a
fear of flying. I can get on a plane, but not without experiencing a lot of
anxiety. Hearing or seeing news about plane crashes fills me with crippling
panic and visceral terror.
And well, you know what they say about fear and fascination
going hand in hand? Yeah. When I saw the description for this book, I just knew
I HAD to read it.
The Three is about four plane crashes that changed the world.
They all happened within hours, on the same day, on four different continents. Terrorism
and environmental factors are ruled out. In three out of the four catastrophic
incidents, a single child survivor is found in amidst the wreckage. Reeling
from the news of the disasters, the world struggles to come to terms with this.
It shouldn’t be possible. No one could have survived those terrible crashes.
People are calling “The Three” a miracle, while others are also coming up with
all kinds of conspiracy theories. Some fanatical rapture cults are even calling
this the End of Days, claiming that the children represent three out
of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. Reports of the children’s behavior
becoming increasingly disturbing aren’t helping matters, nor are the rumors of
strange things happening around them.
Ah, so it’s not just about plane crashes either. There’s
also creepy children! It’s like this book was specially designed to push all my
right buttons! And I know what you’re thinking now, because I also thought the
same thing: “Three children? Wait, what about the fourth plane crash?” Just one
of the many questions running through my head when I read the book’s
description, giving me the heebie jeebies as I played at speculation. It is why I like the
UK cover a lot too, once I got a closer look at it.
In addition to being an epistolary novel, The Three is also a book within a book, called "From Crash to Conspiracy" authored by the
fictional investigative journalist Elspeth Martins. As its title indicates, Elspeth’s
book documents the series of tumultuous events over the period of several
months following the day of the four air disasters. Told through a collection of
interview narratives, book and website excerpts, news articles, voice
transcripts, emails, chat history, other forms of correspondence, etc. the book
is a disturbing look how quickly fear and panic can make a society spiral out
of control. The format proved remarkably ideal for this novel, considering the
number of character perspectives involved on an international scale. Stylistically,
Sarah Lotz’s decision to tell the story this way also adds an additional layer
to the creep factor, due to the implication that some of her narrators are
unreliable, including the “author” (Elspeth) herself, whose professionalism is
questioned in places where she is accused of cherry picking quotes or
misrepresenting a viewpoint in favor of her own biases or for the purpose of
creating sensationalism.
That said, I normally chafe at ambiguity in my stories. But
somehow, The Three makes it work. The way the book is structured, we catch
glimpses of the lives of the three children through the eyes of their
respective guardians – all of whom have lost someone in one of the plane
crashes. There will be mystery and some uncertainty. Did the strange things
they report really happen, or are they nothing more than a symptom of shock,
guilt and grief? The multiple and varied narratives will keep you guessing and make
you desperate to read on for answers, even if the developments are downright
spine-chilling. The character Paul Craddock’s (the uncle of one of The Three) first
“dictophone chapter” shook me up so badly I almost couldn’t bring myself to go
to the bathroom in the middle of the night because it meant having to walk
through the house in the dark. Curse this novel for being so engrossing that it
made me stay up until 3am reading!
If it had been my goal to find a novel that truly scares me, clearly
it appears I might have been a little too successful. Granted, I was probably
more affected because I am a flight-phobic person; if there is a downside to
reading this one as someone scared of flying, it’s that this book will feed
your fears. But the upside? THIS BOOK WILL FEED YOUR FEARS. Classic horror
paradox; sometimes it’s fun to be scared. I can’t think of the last time I came
across a horror novel that unnerved me so deeply. Without a doubt, The Three is
one of my top reads this year and deserves to be a huge success.
A review copy of this book
was provided to me through a publisher giveaway in exchange for an honest review. My thanks to Little, Brown and Company!
*** Be sure to check in next week for an author discussion with Sarah Lotz on a topic that we both have in common: A FEAR OF FLYING ***
*** Be sure to check in next week for an author discussion with Sarah Lotz on a topic that we both have in common: A FEAR OF FLYING ***


I am not big on horror, cos it's well horror! But I could give it a go
ReplyDeleteCome on now B, you don't like a good scare? :D
DeleteI really want to read this!
ReplyDeleteI have it preordered...couldn't believe when I won the book in a giveaway, and still couldn't wait to get my hands on it.
DeleteI can't think of the last true horror book I have read. It has been a long time.
ReplyDeleteI don't read *a lot* of horror, but I do enjoy it...when I come across a good one. Horror for me has a lot to do with atmosphere rather than the actual plot or story, so I never know until I pick it up.
DeleteIt sounds terrifying, I can't wait to read it!
ReplyDeleteSoon, soon... (and you just reminded me I forgot to include release date info!)
Deleteoh it's been a while since I read a horror book, but I think it's always interesting and like you say the atmosphere is really different. I didn't know this one but it sounds well done and I confess I'm curious about the creepy persons and the crashes. Thanks for the review!
ReplyDeleteI'm following you on bloglovin.
Yes, atmosphere was different and the key. Thing is, I'm not one to get scared easily. I'd be lucky if 1 out of 10 horror novels truly affected me. Like I said, this book just seemed specially designed to creep me out ;-)
DeleteIt says a lot when a novel can creep you out enough that you don't even want to get up out of bed to go to the bathroom! Creepy children...man those are always freaking scary. I don't know if I could handle this one.
ReplyDeleteYou'd be surprised, Pabkins! I bet you could handle a horror novel like this, and I actually think you might like this one.
DeleteAnd hey, it was just that one night! It was stormy outside and especially dark ;)
It was so good wasn't it? I might be buying a physical copy of this for myself. It's definitely a winner.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I'm getting the physical copy. Definitely want a hardcover for a book I love this much.
DeleteI love a good adrenaline rush, but I'm not a huge fan of the creepiness factor which is why I don't read a lot of horror. Glad this one scared you to your satisfaction. Hehe :)
ReplyDeleteI can see that. I love a good scare...but in small doses. It probably wouldn't be good to be feel like that all the time, LOL :)
DeleteI've had this on my list for some time, since horror really is my favorite after SF. I love that it really scared you, and I'll admit I hate plane rides as well. That's one reason I never go far from home:-)
ReplyDeleteHa, I'm sure I'll be vacationing only in places I can drive to for the next little while at least :P
DeleteSo it's like this (*snorts*) . . . I can do creepy. I can do horrific. What I cannot do is terrifying. Maybe I'll tell you why sometime (it's kind of a funny story). I'm glad you enjoyed be terrified by this, but me? I'll live vicariously through you ;)
ReplyDeleteJessica @ Rabid Reads
Haha, it's all in degrees, right? I doubt I can do *truly* terrifying either. Though it's kinda weird, stuff that general scares people does very little for me, but then there are random things that will strike terror into my heart which would make people go WTF. It really just depends :)
DeleteAmazing review! I love horror and thriller books, so I'll definitely pick this up when it comes out. WAHHH YOU GOT AN ARC. :'( Now adding this to Goodreads!
ReplyDeleteLoved this review although I have to say I've just finished this book but would not class it as a horror. A thriller yes and it was creepy but I didn't find it scary, that might just be me though because I've seen so many people class it as a horror! Its worth a read and I was loving the narration style but the ending made me want to throw the book across the room! I've heard there will be a sequel so hopefully some more light will be shed on the last chapters :-)
ReplyDeleteHmm, maybe a psychological thriller, which some of the time can bleed into horror - but I just gotta say, this book scared me more than a lot more true horror out there ;-) Curse my fear of flying! But there were also a couple scenes with Paul and the dictophone that were just downright creepy!
Delete