Genre: Fantasy
Series: Stand Alone (Collects 4 parts)
Publisher: Headline (February 13, 2014)
Mogsy's Rating: 4 of 5 stars
The Copper Promise came out earlier
this year in its full entirety from Headline Books, but with nary a US release date in sight. Argh, doesn't that just drive you insane?! I kept
my eyes and ears open for any news. And waited. And waited. And waited.
Finally, I just couldn’t take it anymore. I needed this book in my life. Being
on the wrong side of the ocean be damned, I just went ahead and ordered my copy
from the Book Depository. From there, this oh so gorgeous book found its way
into my hands at last.
Was it worth it? You betcha! I craved for this book so hard
because I thought it sounded amazing. And as it happens, it contains a lot of things I
like. We’re talking classic quest narrative here. And don’t forget mages,
knights, and sellswords. Hey, there are even pirates! Oh, and did I mention the
dragon? Not just any old dragon either, but a dragon god of destruction. Unleashed
after an eternity spent imprisoned in the dark depths of the Citadel, now all she
wants to do is tear the world asunder.
Enter an unlikely group of heroes who may be the world’s
last hope. Unique and intriguing, the characters are what made this book so
awesome. We have Lord Frith, jaded and broken, thirsting for revenge after
witnessing his whole family killed by usurpers who then nearly tortured him to
death for the secret location of his treasure vault. Then we have Sebastian,
the exiled knight whose only crime was falling in love with another man. And
last but not least, we have Wydrin, the cheeky mercenary who calls herself The
Copper Cat. She’s great -- and has a scary obsession with sharp blades too, I might
add.
I enjoyed how naturally the character relationships seemed to
flow with the story. Each person had to overcome their own individual challenges
at some point before coming back together again to resolve the final conflict, but
this was done so artfully that their separations and reunions always felt so
right. Somehow, characters were exactly where they needed to be, but always in a
way that made a lot of sense and didn’t feel forced. Even with the complex relationships and switching between perspectives, I still felt a closeness with each character and this made their interactions easy and entertaining to follow.
The novel’s format had a lot to do with this. I
was glad I knew something about it before heading into the book. The Copper
Promise is actually a collection of four serialized novellas – Ghost of theCitadel, Children of the Fog, Prince of Wounds, and Upon the Ashen Blade.
Together they form the overall story arc, every section being a part of the
whole. In spite of this, I also noticed that each part had its own dramatic
structure – a main conflict, rising action, etc. So in a way, it’s a bit like
getting four exciting climaxes in a single book! But even with the almost seamless
transition between the parts, if I hadn’t known about the serialized format I
imagine reading all four of them together would feel like a pretty uneven ride
with lots of ups and downs. It also gives the book that “pulpy” feel. I was
prepared, so it probably wasn’t as distracting for me.
More importantly, the four parts come together
remarkably well, showing us the bigger picture. It’s true that they work as smaller narratives by themselves, but believe me, it’s a lot more rewarding when viewed it as a whole. Grab this book to have them all together, and enjoy it all at once. I know I certainly had a good time doing so.
Great book. Simply good old-fashioned adventurous fun, with just a touch of
grit. Sound yummy? Then you should definitely check it out too.


Glad it lived up to the billing. But I still want a US release so I can get a less attractive cover but be able to just walk into a store and buy it.
ReplyDeleteHaha, hey now don't write off the US cover yet if they ever have one! Though I have to admit the one now has lots of personality. I usually prefer US covers that are painted, more colorful etc. but they also often lack soul.
DeleteI love scary females with scary obsessions with scarily sharp knives ;) I'll probably wait for this to come state-side, but it's definitely on my list now.
ReplyDeleteJessica @ Rabid Reads
I really hope this one gets a US release date!
DeleteOhhhh me likey
ReplyDeleteThis would be right up your alley!
DeleteI've been curious about this but hadn't gotten around to it. I'm exited to see you enjoyed it. I will have to try and grab it when I see it over here.
ReplyDeleteHopefully we will see it over here. Surprising how such a buzzworthy book hasn't made it over on this side of the ocean yet.
Deletealright hell yes - looks like I seriously need to pick this one up. Copper cat? haha What mercenary doesn't have an obsession with sharp blades I say? Adding this to the must acquire list asap!
ReplyDeleteYes, I think you'll really like this! A mercenary who calls herself the Copper Cat and also names her "claws" (daggers!) Yeah, this one is definitely for you :)
DeleteOh! Glad you liked it! I've been holding out for a US release, mainly because I'm a bit behind on my reading. Whenever I catch up, if there's still no word on a US release, think I may break down and order a copy as well.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I'm hoping it won't be too long until it gets picked up by a US publisher. There's definitely interest! I really liked it :)
DeleteI hadn't realized this wasn't yet released in the US. I've seen several reviews over the last few months but they must have been UK bloggers. I'll definitely be reading this as soon as I can.
ReplyDeleteYeah, only in the UK so far, those lucky bastards! :D Can't deny it was a lot of those reviews that pushed me over the edge and made me get this!
DeleteWhy must this book torture me so?? I completely understand international readers' pain at US-only releases now!
ReplyDeleteYeah, me too! As I'm starting to read more again these days, I find stumbling upon UK-only releases (so far) is happening at a more frequent rate :P
Delete