Written in Red by Anne Bishop
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Book 1 of The Others
Publisher: NAL (March 5, 2013)
Author Information: Website
Mogsy's Rating: 4 of 5 stars
I’m glad I gave this book a shot. I have to admit, I've not had the best experience when it comes to Anne Bishop (I really wanted to like Daughter of the Blood in her Black Jewels series, but just couldn’t seem to get into it) so I initially shied away from Written in Red. However, after multiple recommendations and even an assurance or two that it is very different from Bishop’s epic fantasy, I was finally convinced to pick it up.
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Book 1 of The Others
Publisher: NAL (March 5, 2013)
Author Information: Website
Mogsy's Rating: 4 of 5 stars
I’m glad I gave this book a shot. I have to admit, I've not had the best experience when it comes to Anne Bishop (I really wanted to like Daughter of the Blood in her Black Jewels series, but just couldn’t seem to get into it) so I initially shied away from Written in Red. However, after multiple recommendations and even an assurance or two that it is very different from Bishop’s epic fantasy, I was finally convinced to pick it up.
I was also told that this series should be right up my alley,
based on the type of urban fantasy I enjoy. I daresay that was a
good call. I love the genre for its focus on interesting characters and unique worlds,
and Written in Red certainly delivers on those fronts. Not only that, Anne
Bishop also introduces UF elements in this book that are at once brand new and yet all too
familiar. Given my mixed feelings in the past with her other
work, it felt reassuring to find this book settled nicely in my comfort zone.
Despite my tepid feelings towards Daughter of the Blood,
even I can't deny that Bishop has a knack for creating worlds. Her
talent and creativity is evident everywhere in her work, and that is true of The Others series as well, where the
mundane and the supernatural coexist in a fragile balance…so to speak. Namely,
it’s the unearthly creatures who are in charge, and so long as we puny
humans keep in line, they will tolerate sharing the living space with us. It’s
different, but makes a lot of sense. Why should “The Others” hide and live in
secret when they are so powerful and there are so many of them? And thus people are prey,
and they are put in their place.
Written in Red also features a world with more than just vampires and
werewolves. Granted, there are shapeshifters aplenty, but they come in many
other forms, such as crows, owls, etc. Here you will encounter all kinds of
creatures and races of powerful humans, never seen or heard of before. Take the
protagonist Meg Corbyn, a blood prophet who has the ability to see the future
when her skin is cut. Kind of a morbid power, if you ask me, but it's intriguing.
It's simply Bishop working up her gift for creating and describing magic. For me, that
dark and vaguely-disturbing but enchanting quality is what I remember of her style.
I really like how she's applied it here, to a world so very
different from what I’ve previously read from her.
Speaking of which, Bishop’s also not the first epic/high
fantasy author I’ve read who has taken the leap into urban fantasy in recent
years. In several cases, I felt the pacing was a mild issue with storytelling,
and I couldn’t help but feel it here as well. Check out the page count, for one thing. Written in Red is relatively lengthy for an urban fantasy novel, especially a series
starter, and I don’t know if it really needed to be so long. Looking back, I
can think of quite a few scenes that probably weren’t required. World building
is important, sure, but at times I felt it came at the expense of the story's momentum.
Still, I liked the cohesiveness of the plot. So many urban
fantasy novels seem to be crammed to the brim with action and a whole lot of
ideas and things going on these days, all in about 300 pages. Written in Red may
be longer than most, but at least it gives Meg’s plight and her relationships with The
Others the full attention it deserves. As a main protagonist, she’s a
bit too timid for my tastes, but the writing is very effective at making the
reader feel protective of her and invested in her success. As a result, the
tension was palpable throughout the novel even without a billion things
happening all at once.
As a parting thought, cheers and thank you to those who
recommended this to me and told me to read it. This was a fun one! If I’d
continued staying away, I would have missed out on a refreshing new urban fantasy series. No need to remind me to put the next
book Murder of Crows on my reading list – it’s already there, I promise.


I really liked this too, and yes, Bishop definitely has a talent for creating really wonderful worlds. This is one of the first books that I've ever read where I was kind of bored with the slow-pace of the plot, but loving it anyway b/c the creatures were so much fun. I'm glad you liked it too ;) PS--I think this is the first SFF writer to make the leap to UF that I came across too, but I'm looking forward to Gail Z. Martin's new UF book as well--maybe Bishop and Martin will start a new trend ;)
ReplyDeleteJessica @ Rabid Reads
Yes, I'm excited to try Gail Z. Martin's UF book too! Some others I can think of off the top of my head, Jacqueline Carey and her Agent of Hel books and C.S. Friedman with Dreamwalker earlier this year. Django Wexler also with his new John Golden UF novella series. It's happenin' :)
DeleteDaniel Abraham writing as Hanover. And slightly different, Glen Cook writing his PI novels that are still a high fantasy setting, but set within a city setting.
DeleteOoh right, I think I have read a couple of Cook's PI books, the ones that all have a metal in their title IIRC. There must be a mental block or something preventing me from getting into his books because as enjoyable as that series was, it didn't grab me enough either.
DeleteI'm so glad you decided to give it a shot. You make me nervous though about trying her fantasy books (I bought all of them ages ago when another reader in college insisted they were the best thing ever...but I never got around to reading them haha).
ReplyDeleteAnways yes I agree Meg is a bit timid but I also think she has some iron guts to have gone through and escaped the things she has. I think you'll notice more of that in the next book. So glad you enjoyed!
Yeah, I'm going to try to make some time to read the second book, I may end up doing audiobook for it as well.
DeleteI had a similar issue with her epic fantasy. I really wanted to enjoy it but 2 books into the Black Jewels trilogy I kind of just shrugged and quit. Her world was unique and I could see her talent but I just couldn't attach.
ReplyDeleteOur UF tastes run the same so I'm happy I have this in my TBR. I might throw it in my backpack to read this week at work.
Yeah, I couldn't get into Daughter of the Blood. I read it a while ago though, so I've always had a mind to go back and try again to see what I'll think of it now after I've had more experience with fantasy. But this one I definitely felt more of a connection to right from the start.
DeleteI'm glad you liked Written in Blood. It was one of my favorites of 2013. Good review!
ReplyDelete