The BiblioSanctum has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address in 5 seconds. If that does not occur, please visit
http://www.bibliosanctum.com
and update your bookmarks. See you at our new home!

Friday, April 18, 2014

Book Review: Nightmare Ink by Marcella Burnard

Nightmare Ink by Marcella Burnard

Genre: Urban Fantasy

Series: Book 1 of Living Ink

Publisher: InterMix (April 15, 2014)

Author Information: Website | Twitter

Mogsy's Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Whenever I encounter cool, interesting new concepts in urban fantasy, it's always like a breath of fresh air. I mean, I love vampires, werewolves, wizards and such, but it's also nice to see something different every once in a while. And with this book, the idea of magical tattoos most definitely fits into the "that's not something I see every day" category.

The unique properties of "Live Ink" is what serves as the foundation for the magic system in Marcella Burnard's newest novel, in a world where tattoos are more than just body art. If integrated well, a Live Ink tattoo can enhance a person's life and augment their skills. But when things go wrong, they can also turn on their wearers and even wind up killing them.

Protagonist Isa Romanchzyk and others like her who have the ability to manipulate Live Ink can either use that power to create or destroy, making her tattoo shop a destination for both the cops and the mob alike -- or anyone who needs to get rid of a Live Ink tattoo gone bad. Isa's approach has always involved "binding" the tattoo, effectively killing it in order to save the life of the victim. Until one day a desperate friend turns to her for help, and for the first time in years Isa works Live Ink, fixing the tattoo instead of destroying it. But what she doesn't realize is that by interfering, she might as well have just painted a target on her back.

It goes without saying, when you take an interesting idea and throw in compelling characters, you get a winning combination. Nightmare Ink has this going for it. Isa's enigmatic past and her connections with both the law and the gangs of Seattle make her interesting to me. I thought I'd seen and heard it all when it comes to urban fantasy protagonists and their shady backgrounds, but I guess not! Information about Isa's history is doled out sparingly so you don't get to learn everything about her straight away, and I found myself being surprised by the darker revelations of her past even once I was well into the final chapters of the book.

However, the uneven way details are revealed also presents a bit of an issue. I noticed the introductory chapters are heavier on the info-dumps, going so far as to have a character ask Isa about Live Ink so that she can not-so-subtly explain all the ins-and-outs. But information becomes sparser after this, leaving me with a lot of questions about tattoo magic. For example, why does Live Ink only take to certain people and not others? There's also not much about the "etheric" world where a lot of Isa's interactions with Live Ink tattoos take place. It makes some of the later scenes in the novel involving her relationship with her own Live Ink very confusing. It is also implied that the Living Tattoos come from another realm, but again we don't get a lot of detail on that. There are many instances like this, and while it's a very interesting world I only wish I knew more about it!

At the time of reading, I wasn't sure if this was going to be a series, but I see now that there is at least one future book planned. In any case, Nightmare Ink works very well as a stand alone. Isa and her friends are a fantastic group of people I wouldn't hesitate to read about again, and the concept of Live Ink magic could definitely do with some expanding, fine-turning and polish that another book could provide. Despite some holes in the world building, this was overall a very entertaining read.


  A review copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thanks to InterMix/Penguin Group!

14 comments :

  1. For some reason I am not sure about this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas, maybe a little light on world building. But second book should be fab!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, so you did read this one! I was curious about it when it showed up on my new releases post. Hmm... I think I'll wait until book 2 comes out cuz it doesn't sound like it blew you away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure did! It probably didn't blow me away, no. But tattoo enthusiasts will adore this, that whole world of tattoo art/artists plus the magic added in was superb. It's both a positive and negative to the book that I wanted more like that from it.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! Totally putting this on my wishlist to read! I love the idea of Live Ink! I'm glad you enjoyed it .. I don't read a ton of urban fantasy, although I do enjoy it quite a bit when I do (usually) and I also like finding new ideas in genres that haven't been explored very much! Live Ink sounds fascinating and hopefully the follow up book will answer more of your questions and be even more polished than the first!

    April @ My Shelf Confessions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you find the idea fascinating! I know how that is...there are genres that I'm so-so about, but throw in a topic I'm passionate about and I'm all over it. Happens a lot with historical fiction and the like.

      Delete
  4. Did anyone else watch that god awful Electra movie? It has someone who's tatoos came to life. Which would be weird in my case, because then I would have two parrots that I couldn't tell apart. And I am not sure if the wolf would eat the turtle.

    Um, sorry. What was this book actually about? I got distracted by the premise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have watched Elektra...I don't recall anything at all about tattoos coming to life, which just goes to show how completely I've wiped that movie from my mind :D

      Delete
  5. That is so weird. I haven't read much about "magical tattoos" either. One of Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely books YEARS ago, but I think that's it. Until the book that I'm reading right now (that isn't this one), LOL. Anyway, this definitely sounds like another series to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be keeping my eye on your incoming reviews, kind of curious as to what this other book is where you're reading about magical tattoos :)

      Delete
  6. I find that to be the case sometimes with the first book in uf, that right up front they do a bit of info dumping. I love the sound of the living ink tho and may still possibly read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind some info dumping, especially in fantasy where a lot of explanation into the magic required. As long as it's not in huge chunks every few pages and overt! :D

      Delete
  7. I've read at least two other books about tattoos that change color or move around, but never one where they kill you! It does sound like a great premise, but I'm always wary of publishers I've never heard of (Intermix, new imprint of Penguin?). Sometimes it's really nice to read someone else's review first and be able to say "no" to a book before you get too excited;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if Intermix is a new imprint from Penguin, it was the first I've heard of it but apparently they do a lot of romance/paranormal romance which isn't really my genre so maybe I've just never paid enough attention :P

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...