The BiblioSanctum has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address in 5 seconds. If that does not occur, please visit
http://www.bibliosanctum.com
and update your bookmarks. See you at our new home!

Monday, February 3, 2014

Novella Review: John Golden: Freelance Debugger by Django Wexler

John Golden: Freelance Debugger by Django Wexler

Genre: Urban Fantasy

Series: Book 1 of John Golden

Publisher: Ragnarok Publications (February 3, 2014)

Author Information: Website | Twitter

Mogsy's Rating: 4 of 5 stars 

I'm a tough sell when it comes to novellas. Even tougher when it comes to urban fantasy. Don't get me wrong; I love this genre, but the truth is there's also a lot of books and series out there. These days, ideas in urban fantasy have to be special and different enough in order to stand out and hook me. 

But as soon as I read the description for this book, which is about a character whose job as a "freelance debugger" involves getting fairies out of computers, I knew it had me. Speaking as someone who is often convinced she has problems way worse than fairies mucking about in her PC, I think I need this John Golden guy in my life.

Django Wexler is also the perfect person to write this. That might come as a surprise if you've only read his epic fantasy, but I've discovered that he's also an amazingly versatile author. And as a former programmer and someone clearly used to being called upon for impromptu IT work, he definitely knows his way around computers and networks. He's taken that knowledge and mashed it up with elements from urban fantasy, creating a world where the land of the fae exists as part of a "Wildernet", and its denizens wreck havoc on our servers and systems by infesting them with their nasty "burrows".

I think the first thing most readers will notice is "Hey, there's a bunch of footnotes in this!" Wexler has decided to do something different here by using footnotes for humorous effect, having John Golden's business partner Sarah fill us in with her commentary in the form of annotations. Sarah is an interesting character, with her being a ... well, I think I'll just leave that little bit out as a surprise for now! In any case, I personally appreciated the footnotes as part of the book's unique flavor, though they did trip me up a little at the beginning. Ultimately though, it's worth your time to read Sarah's snarktastic comments, since they often add to the narrative or give you more details about the world. Not to mention she's downright hilarious.

I would recommend this to everyone. It's the perfect urban fantasy for computer geeks, with its IT jokes and references, but it's also fun for those who are not. Take me, for example. I wouldn't say I'm hopeless with computers, but at the same time what I don't know could fill an Olympic-size pool, and yet I still loved this book! It's quick, it's entertaining, and I have to say I got a real kick out of its geeky pop culture references and humor.

Can't wait for more, especially since Wexler has teased that the next book will have a gamer angle. I know his other fantasy series will likely take precedence, but I really hope he'll keep finding time to write John Golden stories. A premise this amazing simply demands further exploration!


A review copy of this book was provided to me by the author and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thanks to Django Wexler and Ragnarok Publications!

8 comments :

  1. Thank you, Mogsy. Very pleased you enjoyed it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell, I still have not read his epic fantasy. Which looks more up my alley. Hope to get to that soonish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really like The Thousand Names, it was one of my favorite books last year. Definitely read that first if you have the chance! Still, if you're in the mood for some UF, John Golden is a quick, fun read. You get to see the author's more humorous side.

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed the book as much as I did editing it. Appreciate the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Keep up the awesome work, you guys! :)

      Delete
  4. Read it last night and really loved it. Novel mix of IT and Fae that I'd never thought of before, very interesting and I can't wait to see the setting developed more. I especially enjoyed Sarah's footnotes, it reminded me a bit of the Ciaphas Cain 40K series.

    It's going to be a long wait for the next book in August, then again I have a lot of catch up reading to do to hit my GR and personal goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same about the footnotes, a very bold move but I got to liking them a lot, and they are too integral not too have. Loved your review on goodreads.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...